(AKA: "here it comes again...")
Apparently I haven't done this any of the other times it's bubbled through LJ-land, so what the hey.
(as tagged by avocado_tom)
Here's what you do:
- Turn on your favourite media player and turn your shuffle feature on. (
iPodiTunes) [e: yes, pretend you don't just leave "shuffle" on pretty much permanently]
- Hit "play" and keep track of the next 10 songs that come up. (If you have iTunes, you can make a smart playlist that will automatically list your most recently played selections.) [e: I think iTunes comes with that smart playlist ("Recently Played") as an example, or maybe I just created it so long ago it just seems like it's always been there]
- Post your 10 shuffled songs, along with these instructions. You are not allowed to lie, omit tracks or otherwise try to make your musical taste seem hipper than it actually is. [e: Uh, yeah, as we'll see, there's little point in my trying to do that]
- Tag five people on your friends list to do the same.
- Sow country — Gorillaz (gorillaz)
- Sweetness Follows — R.E.M (Automatic for the People)
- Mothers of the Disappeared — U2 (Joshua Tree)
- Dunford's Fancy — Waterboys (Fisherman's Blues)
- Love in Itself — Depeche Mode (Construction Time Again)
- Chickenshit Conformist — Dead Kenedeys (Bedtime for Democracy)
- Bourrée — Georg Friedrich Händel (Händel: Wassermusik / Feuerwwerksmusik)
- Mah Na Mah Nah — Mah Na Mah Nah and Two Snoots (Jim Henson, Frank Oz, & Richard Hunt (A Sesame Street Celebration)
- Prisoner of Mars — Stereolab (Dots and Loops)
- La ʻElima — Israel Kamakawiwoʻole (Facing Future)
- chachicat is an easy choice.
- I don't think schwap23 has done this before.
- I'd love to know what orb_box is listening to
- I don't know if gwenix does the whole "meme" thing, but ditto for her
- bayareajenn needs more to worry about.
For the record (that's a black piece of plastic with a hole in the center for you yunguns): This is shuffling my whole library, not my normal mode of listening. I've created a smart playlist: 2 stars[*] or more, anything I haven't heard in the last 7 days (I might up that to 14). Ever since I did that it's been the only way I listen to music.
Yup, that's pretty much me: a little too rooted in the late '80s - early '90s, a little too much syth-pop, a dash of some more contemporary things that have piqued my interest (generally, I like a bit more variety in the musical era, so I'd probably have jiggered this if I was listening to it without the meme constraints), mix in some random. Best served chilled.
Now for the hard bit. I need to tag 5 people who might actually do this meme, but who haven't done it before.
Do it (or not) at your pleasure.
EDIT: Oh, look. Unicode HTML entities are completely broken in Windows browsers. I'm surprised, I would have thought XP would have made it to at least the late '90s technologically. (Fer fuck's sake, even my Linux browser has handled Unicode correctly for years!)
[*] 1 star tracks are things that I added for completeness, or otherwise don't understand how it ended up in my Library. A zero star rating is reserved only for tracks that are damaged & need to be re-ripped. Not that you care. For those of you curious about the ★'s, Unicode REWLS. ☺